Filed under: Mixes
When I started playing records out, towards the end of the 90s, I seemed to position myself as a digidub DJ of some sort: it was a good way to get people dancing without really needing to mix properly, and I really liked it at the time – I could drop plenty of regular roots as well which made me happy. But I don’t think I’ve played a pure “digidub” set in 5 or 6 years, even back on the beach with the Unsound crew it was a bit of digidub, a lot of roots, some yardcore and a whole heap of European microdub and the like (Rhythm & Sound, Uptight Sound System, Deadbeat).
The whole UK sound system / digidub scene seems to be pretty derided now, and it’s easy to see why: it appears to be stuck in a rut, to have lost whatever edge it had (or as far as I can tell from the few forays I make into it these days). To be honest, it got fucking dull and overrun with hippies. It also suffered from getting lumped in with the whole “festival reggae” thing, an excuse to foist pisspoor bouncy shite onto pilled up fools (Dreadzone, I’m looking at you).
But there were some fantastic tunes – still are from time to time – and some of my happiest musical moments have been at Iration Steppas dances or in front of a big rig in a field or at a festival nodding along to some UK sound system dub. And there’s a hell of a lot of digidub somewhere in dubstep’s DNA.
So here’s a kind of tribute to my old, bad self. Save for a couple of fairly recent selections, all of these tracks were ones I played out at some point – on the Unsound rig, mostly.
01. Love Grocer – Waiting At The Gate
02. The Rootsman – We Come Rough
03. Pablo Gad – Technology
04. Vibronics – Deep Roots Dub
05. Butch Cassidy Sound System – Rockers Galore
06. Renegade Soundwave – Brixton (Dub Mix)
07. Iration Steppas – Rejection (Festival Mix)
08. Brother Culture – Ing
09. Bush Chemists – Light Up Your Spliff
10. Mannasseh – Good Steppin’ Pt 1
11. DigiDub – Wickedness Increase
12. Overproof Soundsystem – Watch What You Put Inna
13. Zion Train – Hailing Up The Selector
14. Pama International – Rise ft Dennis Alcapone
15. Rhythm & Sound – No Partial
16. 2 Bad Card – Sergio Mendez pt.1
2 Comments so far
Leave a comment