Filed under: Cussing
Possibly THE greatest cussing in music: During the “if there was no government… ” bit of Crass’ Yes Sir, I Will when Steve Ignorant sneers “and what if I told you to FUCK off”.
Filed under: Cussing
the positively joyful backing vocal “fucks” throughout Pavement’s No Life Has Singed Her Now
Filed under: Miscellaneous
as another way to occupy myself, I’ve started a Tune Of The Day mailout on Facebook. Every day I post up a new download, sometimes for a particular reason but more usually just cos. It appears on my profile page and also gets sent to everyone in the Speakers Push Air mailout, which you can join by clicking the logo.
I’m about to start my Best of 2009 rundown, which will happen both on Facebook and here. Exciting stuff, obviously…
Filed under: Miscellaneous
This post is brought to you by three separate events or thoughts:
1.) For a while now, I’d been thinking about a series of posts related to bands who’ve been friends of mine, that have been excellent and either failed to get anywhere or not even tried. One of those bands was to be Things To Do For Boys, a band from Brighton in the late 90s /early 00s (roughly) with whom I’d been friends.
2.) Last week, Ailsa and I were driving up to Barter Books in Alnwick, through the beautiful autumnal Northumbrian countryside, in a borrowed car. I’d also borrowed a bunch of CDs I’d made for Ailsa’s sister, not having any with me of my own. One of these suddenly threw up Sauce Covered Johnson, one of two tracks I’ve got by the aforementioned Things To Do For Boys. Playing it led me to bend Ailsa’s ear about what a great band they were, and what a great bunch of people, especially the singer Mike, a friend from some years back who for various reasons I’d totally lost touch with. This reminiscing made me resolve to both post some Things To Do For Boys tunes and to contact Mike somehow.
3.) On Sunday a message on Facebook arrived from one of my best friends, telling me that Mike had died, suddenly and tragically, on the very day I’d played the tune and made a resolution to contact him. The momentary shudder this synchronicity caused aside, I was really shaken. A look at various Facebook tribute groups – featuring contributions from literally hundreds of people (mostly ex-pupils) – served as a reminder of what a brilliant, talented, charismatic guy Mike was.
And hopefully these two tracks will demonstrate that he was also a great frontman for a wonderful band. It really is a terrible fucking shame.
R.I.P. Mike – you were a gent.
Filed under: Mixes
It’s almost exactly 6 months later. In which time, I’ve taken a mountain of painkillers, nearly lost my leg AGAIN, had another two spells in hospital but still managed to notch up 4 festivals and some other (very ill-advised) lunacy.
Right now, I’m mostly med-free and pretty much in the hands of the physiotherapist, who I’d describe as a sadistic little bastard if he wasn’t such a nice guy.
Mostly I read and listen to music – and now the meds have worn off I’ve actually started taking stuff in again as well. Kicking the painkillers – especially the Oxycodone – was no picnic and I felt strange and woozy and disjointed for a few days. And listened to a lot of stuff like the tunes I’ve included in this new Oxycomedown mix. I’ve also found hauntology and opiates are a splendid combination, something they didn’t mention in The Wire.
Anyway, I hope to restore this blog to a living breathing thing now I’m a little more sentient, so consider this new mix a kind of reboot.
1. Max Richter – Vladimir’s Blues (Blue Notebooks)
2. PJ Harvey – The Garden (Is This Desire?)
3. Wild Beasts – We Still Got The Taste Dancing On Our Tongues (Two Dancers)
4. Glen Brown – Wicked Can’t Run This Dub (Termination Dub)
5. Saint Etienne – Carn’t Sleep (Foxbase Alpha)
6. Nurse With Wound – Spiral Theme (A Sucked Orange)
7. OOIOO – Be Sure To Loop (Feather Float)
8. Boredoms – 7 (Boriginal Mix) (Super Roots Seven)
9. The Mekons – Where Were You? (Heaven & Hell)
10. Igor Wakhevitch – Rituel De Guerre Des Esprits De La Terre (Unknown)
11. Can – Vitamin C (Ege Bam Yasi)
12. 24 Carat Black – 24 Carat Black Theme (Ghetto: Misfortune’s Wealth)
13. Mogwai – The Sun Smells Too Loud (The Hawk Is Howling)
14. Fuck Buttons – Mogwai Fear Satan (Mogwai / Fuck Buttons Tour 7”)
15. Coil – Further Back & Faster (Love’s Secret Domain)
16. Arthur Russell – Keeping Up (The World Of Arthur Russell)
17. Dead Man’s Bones – My Body’s A Zombie For You (Dead Man’s Bones EP)
18. Max Richter – Sarajevo (Memory House)
19. Sons Of The Pioneers – Happy Trails (Cool Water)
The last 6 months have been mostly soundtracked by:
Alela Diane / Ghostface Killah / Max Richter / Nurse With Wound / King Tubby / Boredoms / Dead Man’s Bones / Elizabeth Cotten / OOIOO / Orange Goblin / Gas / The Modern Lovers / Mariachi El Bronx / Supersuckers / Master Killa / Shackleton / Jessica Ray Mayfield / Morton Valence / Sunn O))) / Coil / NoFX / She & Him / Julian Cope / Honkeyfinger / King Midas Sound / Tragic Roundabout / Fuck Buttons / Bill Callahan and Smog / Boris / Frontier Ruckus / Charles Mingus
which might be some indication of how fucked up Oxycodone makes you